To end summer on a high note, my friends and I decided to take a road trip to the southern coast of Long Island for a weekend full of faves and fun at the first ever Billboard Hot 100 Festival.
I am not exaggerating when I say that literally all of my faves were there. Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, The Weeknd, Skrillex, Fetty Wap, Little Mix, Jason Derulo, The Maine, MKTO, Tori Kelly… the list goes on. I kept pinching myself because it seemed way to good to be true.
The inaugural festival fulfilled all of my expectations and provided us with two full days of non-stop music, laughs, new friends, and free swag. Here are some of the best moments from the fest:
1) The festival venue was literally on the beach. Nikon at Jones Beach Theater is part of Jones Beach State Park, which is a barrier island of Long Island with 10 miles of sandy beaches. So while we were sitting in our seats enjoying an epic set by Little Mix, we could glance over at people paddle boarding and watch boats going by — really beautiful.
2) More like Jason De-RULED! Want to go to a concert where you will know all of the words to every single song? Go see Jason Derulo. His set consisted of all of his chart-topping hits (from his first single “Whatcha Say” to current smash “Want to Want Me”). He had every single person on their feet dancing. Jason is an incredible performer and is really fun to watch (especially when he takes his shirt off, ow ow!)
3) Halsey is cool AF. After seeing a lot of buzz about her online, I made it a point to check out Halsey‘s set during the #Hot100Fest and I am so glad I did. She was rocking some killer electric blue hair and exuded this really admirable boss-lady, awesome-chick vibe that I was totally enticed by. Her current single “New Americana” mentions Biggie, Nirvana, and Balenciaga.
4) We. Met. Doug. The. Pug. While rocking out to Lil Wayne my friends and I noticed that we were casually standing next to internet famous pup Doug The Pug (please peep pics of him on Insta immediately if you aren’t familiar.) He was with his fam checking out all the different acts of the festival through out the weekend. To be completely honest, I was a little salty when I found out that he got to meet Justin Bieber. Doug, you are living out all of my dreams.
5) The Maine melted our faces off. The Maine played at 3pm, during mid-day heat and prime sunshine time, and I rocked out so hard that my makeup smudged and I looked like a complete hot mess. It was okay though because I had so much fun. Their 45 minute set included songs from their latest release “American Candy” and some old faves. My friends and I got to meet them after they played and they’re literally the coolest guys ever. (They’re heading out on a completely FREE tour this fall — meaning tickets are $0 — and I totally recommend you check it out!)
6) The Biebs is baaaaaack. Yup, I ‘m a Belieber. No shame. When we arrived to the venue parking lot at 11am we rolled down the car windows and could hear Justin Bieber soundchecking in the amphitheater. I was so overwhelmed that I tweeted something very obnoxious and guess what? Justin saw it and RETWEETED IT. I couldn’t believe it. Later that night he opened his set with “Boyfriend”, closed with his club-banger “Where Are Ü Now” featuring Skrillex, and played some old acoustic songs in the middle – proving that he’s absolutely still got it and I’ve still got that piercing thirteen-year-old fangirl scream in me. (And yes, my phone has not stopped blowing up with notifications since I got the RT, not complaining though!)
I could go on and on about how epic the entire weekend was. I can’t wait to see what they have in store for next year!